Tents are essential for outdoor activities, as they provide shelter where you and your party or family can relax while still enjoying the beautiful scenery of the outdoors. This shelter will give you protection against strong winds, bad weather conditions and keep you dry and dust free.
If you are planning on exploring the outdoors, you want to be very careful in selecting a tent that is the best fit for you. This might seem like a daunting task but it really isn’t. With a few tips and considerations you can select the best 4 person tent for you.
Choose The Right Size
A four person tent will comfortably house 4 people, but this is assuming you have little or no gear. If there is a considerable amount of gear, the 4 person tent will be just about enough for two adults and a child, as well as your gear.
You also have to choose a tent with the right dimensions; it should be long and wide enough for you to comfortably sleep in. The general rule of thumb is to make sure you pick one that is an extra foot longer and wider than your height. This will give you and everyone else enough room to sleep straight and have space to maneuver.
However, you also want to be careful not to go for tents that are too big and bulky as they can be difficult to set up and carry about.
4 person tents are also available in 2 different frame types.: the A-frame, and the umbrella /dome frame.
These each have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it’s important to know the differences so you can find the right level of comfort.
- A-frame: this is the kind of tent you’re used to seeing. It’s the most basic tent style, and can be made from two sticks and a tarp. Its structure involves an upright pole at each end with the guy-lines holding the rest of the tent taut. These are more commonly used with 2- and 3-person tents, but have been modified and improved upon in recent years to hold 4 people. The one downside to this tent is that it doesn’t offer much headroom.
- Umbrella/dome frame: these kinds of frames offer a lot more than your standard A-frame tent. Since the development of flexible tent poles made from fiberglass, the umbrella frame has become the standard for what a good camping tent should be. They’re very lightweight, and offer a lot of room for people to move around without having to disturb each other too much. They’re also a lot of headroom, and these frames can collapse down into almost nothing.
Weather-proof and Water-proof
This is a no brainer. What’s the point of a tent that cannot withstand some wind and cannot keep water out? You want a tent that does very well against these forces of nature. Typically most good tents are equipped with the WeatherTec system which is excellent at water proofing.
The kind of fabric used also contributes to how well the tent does against water. And lastly the general set up of the poles and clips determine how well it does against strong winds. These are very important things to look out for.
Having considered these factors, here are some of the best tents available today and if you are planning an outdoor trip, you best give these products a close look.
EUREKA! Copper Canyon 4 – 4 Person Tent
- Copper Tan colour
- Packaged Dimensions of 10 x 10 x 10 inches
- Weighs 18.6 pounds
- 1 door
- Houses 4
- Steel pole
- Plenty of room with its cabin style tent
- Proper ventilation with its full mesh roof
- Easy entry and exit from its D-style door
- Very easy to set up with its freestanding combination steel/fiberglass frame
Description: EUREKA! Copper Canyon 4 – 4 Person Tent comes with amazing features and ample room for 4 people. The big D styled door makes it very easy to enter and exit the tent. There is also excellent ventilation in the tent as it comes with 4 large windows and a roof tent.
It is guaranteed to keep you dry and comfortable even in a storm with its factory sealed floor and fly seams. Setting up this tent is also super easy with the poles that can attach with a combination of clips and sleeves. It is also equipped with other amazing features such as the Quick Stash feature which allows the windows flaps to be stowed easily without any loops and toggles.
Overall this tent is probably one of the most versatile tents out there and most equipped to handle whatever is thrown at it.
Coleman Sundome 4 Person Tent
- Green colour
- Packaged Dimensions of 4.09 x 9.02 x 7.01 inches
- Fiberglass pole
- Weighs 9.8 pounds
- 1 door
- 2 poles
- Centre height of 59 inches
- Polyester material and 1000D polyethylene floor
- Equipped with an electric access port
- Ground vent and large windows for proper ventilation
- Easy to set up with its dome design and snag-free continuous pole sleeves
- Plenty of room to move around freely
- Equipped with extra storage pockets for organisation
- Insta-clip pole attachments for added resistance against wind
- Water repellent design with the patented WeatherTec system’s welded floors and inverted seams
Description: Coleman Sundome 4 Person Tent is another one of the classic Sundome series designed to comfortably house 4 people with plenty of ventilation in the tent.
A combination of the hooded fly for ventilation even in the rain, a hooded window for proper airflow and cross ventilation, and mesh vents on the roof give this tent an excellent rating when it comes to ventilation. It is also designed to keep you dry and guards against leaky floors.
This tent is roomy, well ventilated, easy to set up and durable. It also comes with a lot of other exciting features such as the electrical access port t run power into the tent and cool air port to give it even more ventilation.
Suisse Sport Yosemite Tent
- Colours blue or grey
- Package dimensions of 7.3 x 7.6 x 27.9 inches
- Size of 120 x 72 x 96 inches
- Weighs 13 pounds
- 1 door
- Houses 5 people
- Polyethylene fabric
- Double D door for easy entry and exit
- Mesh zippered windows and ceiling
- Removable divider that transforms the tent into dual tents
- Fairly easy to set up.
Description: Suisse Sport Yosemite Tent is an excellent choice for the whole family. It is big enough to house up to 5 people and keep everyone comfortable. The tent is quite spacious and it is marketed as a 5 person shelter which is quite attractive for a dome design tent. The tent will be extra roomy for the usual 4 person allocation and have that much extra space for some gear. This characteristic is one major advantage of the tent.
Another very important characteristic is the divider. The divider runs down the middle and it can set the tent up to house two pairs of inhabitants. It is also an excellent way to provide privacy to the occupants and this can be quite useful when on certain kinds of excursions.
With its double D door design, it is very easy for occupants to get in and out without disturbing other occupants. Housing 5 people requires proper ventilation and the Yosemite duly delivers as there is adequate ventilation through its 3 mesh windows and its mesh ceilings.
There is a trade-off between keeping out the rain and breathability. The tent breathes and thus keeps out condensation but this makes it difficult to keep out the rain when open.
The most notable drawback of the tent is the limited storage compartments and extra design feature. It is not the most versatile or fully featured tent out there but it still delivers on a number of fronts that makes it very suitable for your outdoor activities.
Mountain Trails South Bend Tent – 4 Person
- maximum height 51.6 inches
- item dimensions of 26.38 x 5.51 x 5.12
- Weighs 6.95 pounds
- 1 door
- Steel pole
- Houses 4 people
- Compact design with dome form factor
- Fiberglass frame with pin and ring system makes it easy to set up
- Excellent ventilation with its large mesh roof vents
- D style door for easy entry and exit
- Utility pocket and gear loft for storage
- Stuff and Go duffel system for easy packing
Description: Mountain Trails South Bend Tent – 4 Person is a sport dome tent designed with a large D style door that makes entry and exit very easy and convenient. The tent floor is kept clean with an attached mud mat. It is very easy to set up and pack up into storage with it’s stow ‘n’ go duffel.
The tent is very compact in design and can still house 4 people comfortably. Its versatility is also great and it is excellent choice for campers and hikers. With its 52 inch centre height, it is very possible to stand up straight in the tent. Ventilation is also great with its mesh roof vents and windows.
Weanas Waterproof Outdoor Camping Tent
- 4 different colours
- Dual doors and dual layers
- Folding size dimensions for 4P 17.3 x 6.3 x 6.3, weighs 6.2 pounds
- 150D anti-tear oxford cloth used for groundsheet
- Aluminium frame poles, 7001 quality.
- Very classy interior and door can be opened from both sides.
- Equipped with ventilation skylight
- Waterproof fabric and stub adhesive with waterproof index of over 4000mm.
- Wind resistant with its strong framework and tent nails
- Very easy to set up and lightweight
Description: Weanas® Waterproof Double Layer 2, 3, 4 Person 3 Season Aluminium Rod Double Skylight Outdoor Camping Tent has a really classic design and feel. Its design is also very convenient and comfortable. The door can be opened from both the inside and the outside and the outer door can be rolled up and set with the buckle.
The tent has excellent water proof features with a waterproof index of over 4000mm which is quite impressive. The skeleton or frame is also very sturdy and strong so it resists winds very well. The tent is also very easy to set up and it can be done quickly by just one person. It is suitable for 2 to 4 persons depending on the specific model and it is built to last.
ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4 Tent
- Tan colour
- Floor area 64 sq. ft
- Item dimensions 52 x 90 x 102 inches
- Weighs 12.75 kilograms
- Fiberglass poles
- 2 doors
- Easy to set up with pole clips that snap up over the tent poles
- Mesh roof vents for better ventilation
- Free standing two pole system
- Easy to enter and exit with two doors. Also improves ventilation
- Two vestibules for gear storage and weather protection
- Polyester fly resistant to UV damage
Description: ALPS Mountaineering Taurus 4 Tent combines all the features that makes it stand out in the areas of ease of use, ventilation, water/weather proofing and versatility. Its two pole freestanding dome design is enhanced with 2 doors and 2 vestibules with large and easy to use zippers. This makes entry and exit that much easier.
As for ventilation, it has mesh windows, and flys with additional vents which you can put on the windows when needed.
With its factory sealed fly and floor seams, you get the best protection against the weather and you can remain dry. Its frame is also sturdy enough to withstand heavy winds. It also has extra features such as the vestibules, pole clips with easy snap over tent poles, gear loft. Mesh storage pockets and a host of other that makes it a very versatile tent that will serve all of your needs.
Big Agnes Big House 4 Person Tent
- Packed dimensions 5 x 16 x 26 inches
- Floor area 57 sq. ft.
- Weighs 10 pounds 10 ounces
- Red or yellow colour
- 2 doors
- Aluminium poles
- Very sturdy design
- Easy to set up
- Big pockets for storing your gear
- Wind resistant and waterproof
- Enough room to stand and move
- Easy to use zippers
Description: Big Agnes Big House 4 Person Tent is what you would call your go to tent for all situations. It is lightweight so you can take it along with you anywhere and it has enough room with good comfort. These attributes makes this tent ideal for campers and backpackers.
The ease of set up is one attractive feature of this tent. One person can easily set it up in a matter of minutes. The three flexible aluminium poles come together to serve as the main support of the tent and they easily snap together. Even after setting up completely, this tent is still light and easy to carry around should you decide to switch locations.
Its large door makes for easy entry and exit and you don’t have to stoop all the way down to gain entry. The door can be used in 2 modes, one for the ventilation mode or open mode and the other mode is the privacy mode when it is zipped closed with a flap.
The tent already as roomy as it is comes with an optional vestibule that can be put together to give you another half sized tent. This tent is a great design and built strong thus another excellent choice.
Coleman 2-For- 1 All Day 4-Person Shelter &Tent
- Yellow colour
- Item dimensions of 11.02 x 11.81 x 32.28 inches
- Weighs 43.87 pounds
- Made out of steel
- Centre height of 7 ft. 2 inches
- Very spacious design
- Spacious front porch to protect you from rain and sunshine
- WeatherTec patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep water out
- Versatile design that helps you use the shelter with or without the tent
- Easy to set up with its attachment clips
- Strong poles that make it wind resistant
Description: The Coleman 2 for 1 is a perfect fit for campers going on an outdoor adventure. Designed to set up in less than 15 minutes and very versatile, this is a must have for your camping trip. It also gives you all the protection you will need against the weather. It’s patented WeatherTec welded floors and inverted seams give it water proofing and thus makes sure you stay dry.
Overall, you can stay in the outdoors even in the rain for days and still remain dry and comfortable with this tent. The ventilation is also great with easy set up. It is very sturdy and it protects you from any weather condition you expect to experience.
Coleman 4-Person Instant Cabin
- Brown or black colour
- Item dimensions of 9.5 x 18 x 38 inches
- Weighs 18 pounds
- Maximum height of 4.17 ft.
- 1 door
- Steel poles
- 150D/150D polyester/taped seams
- WeatherTec system’s patented welded floors and inverted seams to keep water out
- Illumiline reflective lines for better visibility at night
- Built in vented rainfly for extra protection against the weather
- Spacious interior
- Easy to set up with its pre-assembled poles
Description: The Coleman 4 person instant cabin makes life easier for you on your camping trips/outdoor adventures. It is very easy to set up or take down with its innovative one piece design with poles that come pre-attached to the tent. It has enough room to fit a queen sized air bed. Its design takes into careful consideration protection against water and ventilation.
With its rugged polyyguard fabric and exclusive WeatherTec system, you are kept dry even in downpour conditions. It also gives you protection against winds with its fully taped structure. You don’t need a separate rainfly and you have a shelter that stands firm during a storm.
All in all this tent is well packaged, easy to set up, offers good protection against water and wind and is very durable.
Having considered all the factors necessary and essential to the best tents and gone through the above list, you are in a better position to make an informed decision about the tent that best suits you. Four-person tents always come in handy and with their pocket friendly prices, you can do yourself a world of good and buy one today.