We’re so technology driven, that you probably don’t travel anywhere without your smartphone and laptop. In fact, you probably don’t even know anyone who doesn’t own a laptop. If you’ve seen people at airports, they’re usually sitting in front of their laptop, waiting for their next flight.
These devices can help you book a hotel in the last minute, book your seat on the plane or find out the best Italian restaurant in your area. Whether you’re on a train, bus, plane or boat, you’ll want something that’ll be able to take your laptop from point A to point B.
That being said, you’ll need a laptop case to help you along the way. Let’s look at the ins and outs of the best laptop backpack for women.
Why Do You Need A Laptop Bag?
You probably thought that you could just put your laptop in any backpack or carrying case. Which, you can, however, you’re missing some organizational and laptop features which are specifically designed for laptops. In addition, in regular backpacks and carrying bags, you’re missing the extra padding which is built-in a laptop bag.
We all know that laptops aren’t cheap pieces of equipment, so you want to make sure that you’re taking the best care of it while traveling. There are various types of laptop bags, however, first, let’s take a look at some of the features you’ll want in your bag.
Must-have Features of Laptop Bags
There are some features you’ll want to keep an eye out for when purchasing a laptop bag.
Not only will they protect your laptop but they’ll provide you with extra comfort.
- Convenience: When you’re traveling, the most important thing is convenience. If you just finished a 20 hour flight, the last thing you want to do is waste extra time trying to figure out how to open your bag or how to readjust the straps nor do you want your bag to break while going through customs.
You just want it to go easy and smooth. So, you’ll want to look for features like removable laptop sleeves, organizational pockets and compartments for your power cord, mouse, flash drives and other accessories. That way, you’ll be able to easily take out whatever you need without having to rummage through your bag.
- Versatility: You want a laptop bag that’ll be able to be versatile. It should be able to hold other devices such as a tablets, notebook, writing utensils, folders, and CDS. Why? Because you never really know if you’ll need to carry something else along.
Having a laptop bag that only is functional for your laptop is a waste of money.
- Safety: That’s basically your primary reason for having a laptop bag, so you need to make sure this is the essential factor in your laptop bag. You want one that’ll protect your laptop from being dropped or banged around.
You may think that these things can never happen to you, but accidents do happen. That means, you’ll need a laptop that’s heavily padded. An extra laptop sleeve can also help you prevent from scratching.
- Easy to carry: You’ll be using this bag to carry your laptop while traveling, so you need something that’ll be easy on the body, especially the shoulders.
Hands-free options are ideal, so you have the ability to hold a drink or talk on the phone while carrying your bag.
- Material matters: There are a couple materials used to make laptop bags, each with it’s own set of pros and cons. Certain materials are more durable than other, so you want to keep an eye out for that.
- Memory Foam: It gives you plenty of padding for your laptop and is also used in the back panel of laptop backpacks, so, it’ll also give you extra protection and comfort. Especially if you’ll be carrying it around for long periods of time.
- Canvas: Canvas is seen as a more stylish material compared to nylon and it’s also highly durable. It’ll also protect your backpack from rain and humidity.
- Nylon: Nylon is ideal if you’re looking for something that’s lightweight, inexpensive and long-lasting. It’s not as visually applying as the other materials, however, it’s highly functional and protects your laptop.
- Leather: Leather is the highest quality material you can get in a laptop bag. It’s highly durable, trendy and functional. However, leather isn’t a cheap material. So, if you’re looking for a material that’ll be in style for years to come and will last you awhile, leather is the way to go.
- Size: The size of your laptop will determine the size of your laptop bag. Makes sense, right? The size of your laptop screen is what manufacturers will go by when designing a laptop bag.
Usually, manufacturers offer a couple standard laptop sizes, you should have no problem finding the right size for your laptop. Usually, the size of your laptop will be indicated on your laptop.
- Water-resistance: It doesn’t matter if you’re traveling to India or using a laptop bag just to get yourself to the office. You want to make sure your laptop bag is resistant to water. This will ensure that the contents in your bag will not be destroyed by water sneaking in.
- Price: If you’ve just read all these features and want them all, well, you need to know that you won’t be able to get all of them with a $20 budget. When it comes to laptop bags, you do get what you pay for. So keep that in mind if you’re wanting to go cheap. Also, your bag may not include warranty if it’s cheap.
Types of Laptop Bags
Now that you’re aware of the features you need to look out for, you need to know about the various styles available.
- Messenger: A messenger bag has a single strap that’s worn across your body. It’s simple, stylish and gives you a different look than the brief/tote bag.
If you’re laptop isn’t heavy, it’s an ideal bag, however, if you have shoulder problems, this bag is not for you. It usually comes in leather or canvas.
- Backpacks: Backpack laptop bags are ideal if you’re going to school, working or traveling. They comes with two straps, so you’ll be able to distribute the weight evenly across your body.
These bags also come with many pockets, so you’ll be able to fit everything you need in there. Backpacks comes in various materials, and you can also get it in leather which will look more professional.
- Brief/Tote: It’s a very common laptop bag for women and is more of an all-purpose bag as it looks more like a purse. It’s naturally heavier and ideal for those going to work or school.
However, if you’re traveling, this is not the most ideal option.
- Envelope/Sleeve: This is a simple and minimalist design for those that don’t want to carry anything but their laptop. If you’re traveling, this bag is a target because it looks like a laptop bag. Bags like totes and backpacks aren’t so obvious.
Now that you know the various styles of laptop bags, you can see which one suits your lifestyle and needs.
How to Pick The Right Laptop Bag
Picking the right laptop bag for you can be a nerve wracking process because there are so many possibilities. However, here are some ways to help you narrow down your search.
What are you using it for?
Are you using it just to get your laptop to school or work? Or are you planning on traveling with it? If you’re planning on traveling with it, you’ll want a laptop that has a little more padding. You need to look at yourself and your lifestyle before choosing a bag.
Choose the features that matter
What features are important to you? What are the features that you absolutely want in your laptop bag? Do you want extra storage compartments or simply want a bag for your laptop?
There may be a bag you really like, however, it doesn’t have any extra pockets. That may be a problem for you in the future. So, look at your needs.
Which type of bag suits you?
Do you want a messenger laptop bag? A backpack laptop bag? Which bag is the best fit for you. If you have neck and shoulder problems, a messenger bag my not be ideal. So, make sure you consider your lifestyle when looking for a bag.
Now that you know the ins and outs of laptop bags, it’s time to look at the top five women’s laptop bags currently available on the market.
Review of The Top Products
Weight: 16 lbs/ 6.8 kg
Size: 20 x 16 x 10 inches
Best Used: business travel
Description: This McKlein USA is ideal if you’re traveling to work for business trips. It’s highly professional looking with full-grain oiled-tanned leather, so you know it’ll last you for years to come.
It fits 17’’ laptops and comes with a cushioned computer compartment that’ll keep your laptop in place and protected.
What’s great about this bag is that it isn’t designed just for your laptop. It comes with various compartments that’ll be able to store your files and documents, as well as your charger and accessories.
It also comes with an adjustable handle and four wheels, you’ll be able to wheel it around with straining your neck and back. It’ll also fit in the overhead compartment in planes, so you’ll be able to travel wherever you wish with it.
Related: If you’re looking for something a little cheaper in price, the Solo rolling case is another option which is similar in both design and features.
Weight: 4.7 lbs/ 2.13 kg
Size: 6 x 16 x 15 inches
Best Used: multi-purpose
Description: This Claire Chase is ideal if you’re working, going to school or traveling. It’s made of 100% imported leather and comes in four different colors.
It’ll comfortably fit a 15” laptop in its secured compartment. It’s fully lined and finished with antique brass hardware, giving it a trendy and vintage style.
You’ll also be able to carry more than just your laptop since it’s equipped with extra compartments for your smartphone, pencils, charger and accessories. The compartments are all zippered so you can be sure that your valuables will be safe.
To secure the bag it comes with two magnetic snap closures and a drawstring with a handle on top in case you want to carry it instead. If you have back problems and want a bag that’s not only trendy but will alleviate the weight, this one is ideal.
Related: If you want something that’s similar in style Claire Chase also has the Portifino Backpack. However, instead of a drawstring it has a large double buckle.
Weight: 9 lbs/ 4 kg
Size: 11.8 x 4.3 x 16.5 inches
Best Used: multi-purpose
Description: If you’re looking for a laptop bag that’s more feminine in design, the Hedgren Kayla is very stylish and sleek. It’s a 2-way backpack that can be carried as both a backpack and shoulder bag.
It’s a great way to carry your laptop bag without looking like it.
It has a smart sleeve attached to a trolley and the shoulder straps are adjustable to fit. The bag is made of genuine cow leather with 100% polyester lining. It also allows you to carry other items as it comes with multiple compartments and pockets which are all zippered for extra protection.
It can fit a 15.6’’ laptop and A4 sized documents. In addition, it comes in three different vibrant colors and also a 2-year warranty.
Related: You won’t be able to find a laptop bag that’s both feminine in style and comes as a 2-way backpack. However, if you’re willing to sacrifice the 2-way design, Le Donne Tote bag is just as chic and stylish and also secures your laptop.
Herschel Supply Co.
Weight: 1.9 lbs / 0.86 kg
Size: 19.4 x 17.7 x 2.8 inches
Best Used: multi-purpose
Description: Whether you’re traveling, going to school or work, Herschel Supply Co. is an ultra lightweight bag that’ll go easy on your shoulders while still protecting your laptop.
If you’re not looking for a bag that’s specifically chic, this backpack is simple and efficient in design. It’s able to accommodate a 15’’ laptop with 100% polyester lining and a zipper closure that’s water-resistant.
The backpack also features a front pocket with an internal mesh organizers and a fleece-lined accessory pocket for your valuables.
The internal media pocket lets you store your iphone inside with a headphone port, making listening to music even easier. It also comes in 27 vibrant colours to choose from. This bag is relatively inexpensive, so if you’re not looking for something that’s leather made but will be able to protect your laptop, this one is ideal.
In addition, Herschel is a great company which really stands behind their products. So, with any Herschel product you purchase, it comes with a limited lifetime warranty.
Related: For the price and the features included, you won’t be able to find a bag that offers what Herschel does.
ROYCE RFID Blocking Travel Carryall
Weight: 4.3 lbs / 1.95 kg
Size: 16 x 14.5 x 4 inches
Best Used: multi-purpose
Description: If you’re looking for an elegant bag that doesn’t look like a backpack or messenger, then ROYCE RFID Blocking Travel Carryall is a great choice.
Sometimes, backpacks aren’t appropriate, however, you can easily use this bag for work and business trips.
You have two options with color, either navy blue or black leather. It’s made with Royce Leather and security of RFID blocking technology which is US government certified.
The handcrafted Italian Saffiano leather is highly durable and luxurious and matched with nickel zippers and finishings. You’ll be able to comfortably store a 15’’ laptop or tablet in this bag.
The interior has a large zippered pocket with 2 pen loops, 3 credit card ID slots. The exterior has a large zippered pocket and two additional zippered pockets for extra items. It is a tote bag, so if you’re planning on traveling, this isn’t the ideal bag.
However, for short business trips and heading to the office, this bag will do the trick. In addition, it also comes with a one-year warranty.
Related: If you’re looking for a bag that’s professional, but with a little color, ZipperNext has a lightweight shoulder/tote bag. It’s made of genuine leather and comes in a vibrant red.
Now that you know the features you need to consider when looking for a bag, the materials used and the types of laptop bags for women, look at the six best laptop bags we’ve above. Remember to look for a bag that’s convenient and versatile as you want one that’ll be able to perform various duties.
We reviewed the best laptop bags for you, so you’ll be able to easily see which bag suits you and your needs. If you’d like to share your opinion on any of the products we’ve reviewed, please leave a comment down below.