Skateboards have always been a curious thing especially when it falls right into the middle of being an exhilarating action sport gear and an efficient commuting tool. Just like with any piece of tech, transportation continues to evolve.
We already have those hybrid electric cars and even electric bicycles so it’s not that surprising that there are now electric skateboards available. So what’s the best electric skateboard? In this article, you will learn how to choose the best-in-class electric skateboards as well as a number of product reviews.
Why An Electric Skateboard?
Electric skateboards aren’t exactly mainstream, yet but there are many seasoned skateboarders who have gone electric. That’s right, there are actually numerous advantages to joining the emerging electric skateboard movement.
If you are still on the fence whether electric skateboards are worth your time and money, we’ve laid out these top reasons just for you:
- No need for pushing. While it’s indeed an efficient way to get around town, traveling great distances on a traditional skateboard will wear you quickly because you need to push it.
Even the most experienced skaters are not too thrilled with the idea of pushing their board for hours just to get across town. An electric skateboard completely eliminates the need for pushing which saves you energy.
Electric skateboards are designed to be safe and comfortable so there’s will be no burning out while you travel.
- More control over speed. Traditional skateboards can travel pretty fast when going downhill. However when you are on a flat surface like sidewalks and parking lots, the speed just isn’t there and you will need to push with your legs to speed up.
In general, electric skateboards can go as fast as 11 mph whether you’re going downhill or cruising on flat land. Electric skateboards come with a remote that allows you to control how fast or slow you want to move.
This level of control simply isn’t possible with a conventional skateboard. Electric skateboards also has a safety feature that alerts you if you are going faster than 7.5 mph. With this much control over your speed, you can properly plan out your trips.
- Go uphill with ease. Ask any seasoned skateboarders about the worst part of skateboarding and they will likely answer going uphill. If you live in places like San Francisco where steep hills are pretty much everywhere, getting around with a skateboard can be tough.
An electric skateboard can easily handle an uphill climb at 15 degrees angle. This means that you can travel uphill faster and with less strain on you and your board.
- Cover more distances. As mentioned, skating from point A to B can be rather exhausting if the distance between destinations are great. Using the traditional skateboard takes a lot of energy with all that pushing, not to mention that it’s slower as well.
Because of this, skateboarders just drive or ride the bus to go into their local skate park while carrying their boards. With an electric skateboard, you can skip the commute and just skate all the way to the park. In case you need to go further, you can just stop by a local cafe or charging station to recharge your board.
- Seamlessly switch. With electric skateboards, you can seamlessly switch between electric or manual, essentially giving you the best of both worlds.
If you simply want to use your board for some old school skateboarding, you can simply switch off the motor. If you want to leave and get home faster, you can easily switch on the motor and ride with ease.
- It’s just fun. The best part of having of electro-skateboarding is definitely the fun factor. Riding an electric skateboard will give you this pleasant feeling of fun and freedom.
Many boarders swear that it’s almost like snowboarding. With its features, you have a fun and easy way to conquer flats and hills, and do so with considerably speed. Using the board for transportation adds an innovative way to commute in your daily routine.
Plus, it’s just fun to see the people’s faces as you pass them. Stepping into an electric skateboard will turn you into the coolest cat in town.
Things to Consider When Shopping for An Electric Skateboard
Electric skateboards are not exactly mainstream yet but it’s safe to say that it’s a movement that is catching on fast.
Here are some factors and features to consider when shopping for an electric skateboard:
- Weight: there are times when you’ll run out of batteries so weight is an important consideration when buying an electric skateboard. Will you be able to carry or kick push it if ever it runs out of juice?
- Size: there are longboard electric boards and there regular ones as well. A longboard is only suitable for traveling long distances and not for performing tricks. So know which electric board size is right for you by determining your intended usage.
- Spare parts and aftermarket support: because of the added mechanisms and moving parts, electric skateboards are susceptible to breaking. So when choosing a board, check the warranty terms and how easily you can replace the parts in case they break.
- Performance: you can find boards that will get you from point A to B, while there are those that are simply a pure joy to ride. When considering performance, you will need to ask the question: how will this board perform without the electrical setup?
- Motor wattage: you can’t just look at the listed power numbers of the board and call it a day because they don’t really tell the whole story. For example, factors like motor controller parameters and gear ratio have a significant effect on torque.
The idea here is to have a complete package that is designed to work in harmony and accompanied with reliable performance.
- One motor or two motors: both types have their benefits. For most applications, a single-motored board should get the job done. It used to be that having two motors could compromise the smooth free roll that most skaters are after. However, the advancement of motor technology has allowed manufacturers to ensure smooth free roll even with two motors.
- Charging time: obviously, you don’t want an electric skateboard that takes forever to charge. Most modern electro-boards can be charged in 4-6 hours, while some models will take only minutes using a high speed charger.
- Durability: electric skateboards are quite a substantial investment so you want them to last for as long as possible. When buying an electric skateboard, consider a model that features an aluminum rigid frame.
- Price: not all electric skateboards are created equal so it goes without saying that they command different prices as well. There is in fact a massive gap in the electro-skateboard market when it comes to price. One rule to remember here is: you get what you pay for.
With all the electric skateboards that are available in the market, it’s easy to become overwhelmed when shopping. Hopefully by considering these factors and features, you’ll have an easier time finding the right board for you. Another good rule of thumb when buying electro-skateboards is to read reviews and feedback from actual customers.
Top Electric Skateboards You Can Buy
A top-notch electric skateboard is the one that best fits your needs and intended usage. However, it certainly won’t hurt if you check out some of the most popular and positively reviewed products in the market. We highly recommend that you give these products a well-deserved look:
Onewheel Off-Road Skateboard
Weight: 25 lbs
Dimensions: 30 x 9 x 11.5 inches
Specific Features: Gyro and accelerometer sensors, fully charged in 20 minutes, highest quality materials, high-quality Canadian maple deck, iPhone and Android apps enabled, lithium batteries
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, flats, offroads, uphills
Description: If you have been keeping up with tech news, you might have already heard of Onewheel Off-Road Skateboard from Future Motion. It has its humble beginnings on Kickstarter and unlike most campaigns, this one had a happy ending as it was funded and made into an actual product.
As you can see from the name, it’s a self-balancing board on a single wheel. At first, you might think that it’s a rather strange board but with its innovative design and the utilized technologies, it’s the closest thing you can have to a hoverboard.
The self-balancing technology allows you to speed up easily by leaning forward and slowing down means simply leaning back. Being on the Onewheel will give you that sensation that you’re surfing or snowboarding, and you can bet it’s a lot of fun.
It features a lithium battery and a motor that features only one moving part which can go as fast as 12 mph. The whole system can be charged for only 20 minutes if you use the high-speed charger.
Yuneec E-GO2 Electric Longboard Skateboard
Weight: 13.9 lbs
Dimensions: Width 9.45 inches, Depth 35.83 inches
Specific Features: Wood, steel, rubber and carbon fiber construction, Rubber-mounted battery with carbon fiber protection, Brushless 400W motor, 90 mm wheels and ABEC 7 precision bearings, Bluetooth wireless remote, USB port
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, daily commute, carving, flats, uphills
Description: Riders who are looking for a fairly priced electric skateboard should definitely check out the E-GO2 from Yuneec. The wood, steel, rubber and carbon fiber construction provides a safe, durable ride and can handle up to 220 lbs of weight.
The battery is rubber mounted so it flexes with the board, preventing it from getting damaged without compromising performance. Under the hood, the E-GO2 packs a 400W motor allowing the board to go as fast as 12.5 mph with a range up to 18 miles. It also comes with a bluetooth wireless remote that controls forward motion and braking.
You may also download the app so you can use your iPhone as a remote. This offering from Yuneec is great for riders who are looking to add a whole new level of fun into their daily commute but still staying true to their skater roots.
Evolve Skateboards Carbon All-Terrain Series
Weight: 23 lbs
Specific Features: 22 mph speed, Custom designed 36 volt 10ah lithium polymer battery, up to 18 miles range, ABS firm & smooth braking, 220 lbs maximum rider weight
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, daily commute, carving, flats, offroad terrain, uphill
Description: For riders who want to take the road less traveled, this Evolve Skateboards Carbon All-Terrain Series might just be the perfect product. The board specializes in uncertain road conditions like paths and trails thanks to its MBS wheels and rims.
That’s not saying that you can’t use the board on roads and sidewalks because you totally can, as it can run as fast as 22 mph. The custom 36 volt 10ah lithium polymer battery allows for some impressive range up to 18 miles, even on rough surfaces.
At 23 lbs, it sure is an ultralight board that will let you rip through tough terrains. Charging time is only two hours which is good for most applications. Another feature that’s worth noting is the regenerative braking that allows the user to have maximum control over speed.
Evolve Skateboards are known for their quality and innovative products and this one is no different.
Munkyboards SK-1200BL Remote Controlled Electric Skateboard
Weight: 51.5 lbs
Dimensions: 48 x 22 x 11 inches
Specific Features: 1200w motor size, up to 16-20 miles range, 36V lithium ion battery, Ride time of about 70 minutes, 3-4 hrs recharge time, Lithium ion battery, 275 maximum weight limit
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, carving, flats, offroad terrain, uphill
Description: As you can see from its weight and dimensions, the Munkyboards SK-1200BLMunkyboards SK-1200BL is a huge beast. If you are looking for an ultralight board, then you would want to look elsewhere. On the other hand, all-terrain riders will want to check out this board for its power and performance.
For starters, it can go as fast as 28 mph, which is already impressive. Range can go as far as 16 to 20 miles depending on the weight of the rider. The powerful 1200W 36V lithium ion battery can give you about 70 minutes riding time.
Charging time clocks in at 3 to 4 hours which can be attributed to its well-designed lithium battery. It comes with a remote control with dual speed setting making it perfect for both beginners and skate veterans.
It’s quite a pricey board but it’s understandable especially when you’re getting high quality parts, fun aesthetics and top-notch performance.
Luoov Electric Skateboard Longboard
Weight: 13.2 lbs
Dimensions: Truck Width: 23cm – Wheel Size: 75mm – Deck Length: 36in
Specific Features: 20 mph max speed, 7 miles range, Regenerative braking, 60-120 minutes charge time, 3 speed modes, 1200 Watt Li-Ion Powered Propulsion System
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, carving, flats, uphill
Description: What we love most about this electric skateboard from Luoov is that it’s carved like a snowboard. It just has this classic design that we certainly don’t mind for a longboard.
Another feature that many riders will surely appreciate is that it only weighs 13 lbs, making it a perfect commuting tool and you can easily carry it in case it runs out of juice. The 1200w power allows for some really fast speeds.
The board actually has 3 speed modes from beginner to expert. Another thing worth mentioning is that it has excellent acceleration which gives way to some accurate carving. The regenerative braking is also a standout for recovering kinetic energy while braking.As for the price, it’s a mid-range product that should fit most riders’ budgets.
Boosted Dual+ 2000W Electric Skateboard
Weight: 15 lbs
Dimensions: Truck Width: 10 in – Wheel Size: 75 mm – Deck Length: 38 in
Specific Features: 2,000 Watts power, 25% grade uphill climbing, Regenerative braking, Twin Brushless DC-Motors, Lithium Iron Phosphate 99W-Hour Battery, Loaded 38 Inch Flexible Bamboo Vanguard Deck, 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, carving, flats, uphill, daily commute
Description: As far as popularity goes, the Boosted Dual+ is definitely one of the most popular electric skateboards that you can find. For starters, it’s extremely light at 15 lbs, which means you won’t have a problem carrying it.
It boasts rather sophisticated technology with 3 onboard microprocessors, automotive-grade lithium batteries, numerous sensors and mobile connectivity. The top speed is adjustable at 10mph for beginners and can go as fast as 22mph for speed junkies.
The twin brushless motors with 2000w of power provides the rocket acceleration and the smoothest ride. The Dual+ comes with your standard fast charger so you can roll quickly in as little as 60 minutes. We’re not exaggerating when we say that it’s one of the top electric skateboards that money can buy.
Yuneec YUNEGOCR001 E-Go Cruiser Electric Skateboard
Weight: 13.9 lbs
Dimensions: 7 x 13 x 47 inches
Specific Features: Featuring aviation brushless motor technology, Ergonomic wireless handheld remote controller, 18 miles riding distance, Yulee patented ‘6 flex’ flexible battery case, iPhone app available
Best Use: skateboarding, longboarding, carving, flats, uphill, daily commute
Description: We have another product from Yuneec and Yuneec YUNEGOCR001 E-Go Cruiser Electric Skateboard is a great board for skateboarding beginners. The most obvious selling point of the E-GO is the cool, slick design that just looks good. Take it from us that this board will get you a lot of “cool” points.
Adrenaline junkies might be disappointed with the board because it’s not exactly the fastest one out there. However, it’s more than enough for casual and recreational use, especially when it provides a comfortable ride even on uneven surfaces.
One thing we love about the E-GO is its battery life. One full charge (3-5 hours) can take you as far as 18 to 24 miles, depending on the weight of the rider. It comes with the standard wireless remote but if you’re not too thrilled of having to bring a controller, you can download the iPhone app and use your phone to control the board.
Overall, it’s an excellent product for someone who’s looking to break into the electric skateboarding scene.
As you can see, there is a wide range of electric skateboards that cover a wide range of needs and requirements. These products are certainly good enough to get you started on the right track.
While personal preferences are a given when choosing a board, always consider the quality and durability of the product. As mentioned, electric skateboards can be expensive so you’ll want your investment to last.
Getting on an electric skateboard is an innovative and fun way to get around town or play in the skate park. There are many advantages of an electric skateboard over the traditional one and many riders are making the switch.
Hopefully with this guide, you now have a better idea of how to shop for your very own electric skateboard. Just keep in mind your intended usage for the board. And don’t forget to have fun.
Have you tried electric skateboarding before? Any other electric skateboard models you think we should have covered here? Share your experiences and thoughts in the comment section. Feel free to share this post on your social media feed as well.